Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Holiday Goal – Be Here Now

It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas… at the malls and local stores the facades are being trimmed in red, gold, green, and silver and bit of blue and silver for Hanukkah.

Over a week ago, on my way to my “other J-O-B” I followed a wide-load truck with its flashers blinking yellow and red as it maneuvered through the parking lot heavily loaded with a humungous pine tree.  The next day I watched in awe as the workers, okay play along, the elves drilled holes into the massive white pine and added branches back into the trunk of the tree to fill in gaps left by Mother Nature and the tree’s road journey to Newport Beach.  As I sat listening to the sound of the elves drilling and pounding in branches to make the tree fuller, I wondered how many of us, look to the holidays in anticipation and dread of fulfilling holiday goals that may be unattainable or unrealistic. 


 Setting holiday goals must include taking time to smell the pine tree, sip the warm spiced cider, and listen to the carolers.  Remember the awe of Christmas as a child, how we were occupied with Santa letters, daily Advent Calendar openings, and playing with the boxes rather than the new toys.  I have been graced with many sunshiny November days here in Southern California, cool mornings, mid-70s daytime temperature, and slight breezes coming off the ocean.  While I gazed up into the mighty pine with its branches being clipped and modified to perfection I marveled at the “behind the scenes” tasks. 
                                                                                                                                                                             A few days, later I passed by the tree and was stunned.  What?!?  Oh this is ridiculous; the majestic pine was coated in a green paint; part shellac and part fire retardant, to make it more “perfect”.  This is so OC!!!!  I wanted to scream.  I wanted to hop over the site’s caution tape and run and hug the tree and say I’m sorry you have been painted.  Dear tall pine, you are beautiful in all your naturalness.   The next day, I watched as a lift took an elf around the perimeter as the strings of lights were added. 

The action of giving of time and service should not be average, but outstanding.  Materialism is not all life has to offer, but sharing our time and service is a reflection of how we aim to please and cherish another. 

Remember to share your spirit and create joy by being in the moment of the season of the holidays upon us.  Under all the window dressings, perfect Christmas trees, and the gifts - remains the most basic natural thing – our being here now.

I will watch the tree be lit on Friday night and be in awe and inspired to stand in my own grace regardless of what materials cover me; clothing, makeup, and jewelry.  Take in the beauty of around you.  Be.  Here.  Now.   ~Create Joy~   Go in Peace. 

Yesterday is ashes.
Tomorrow is green wood.
Only today does the fire burn brightly.
~ Eskimo Saying

No comments:

Post a Comment