Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Conserve Your Stuff, Cherish Your Friends

The world around us has infinite possibilities but not infinite resources.  We forget that all the stuff we collect does not make us better people, only people with more stuff stashed under beds, in closets, overfull garages and for some even in storage units down the road. 

"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect." ~Aldo Leopold

Conservation of resources means not buying what you don’t need or won’t use.  It means at the store making a valiant effort to stop the clutter in our lives with unnecessary items.  Some people love shoes (me!), others obsess over the latest skinny jeans, or dark versus pre-washed denim…or perhaps black leggings are “in” this fall.  But what does it mean, having the recent fashion on hand.  Do you met the right man, have the smartest kids, offer the best tips to girlfriends or do you run around with stuff all day long, chasing stuff, buying stuff, wanting more stuff to organize your stuff.  Going green has become a fad similar to the skinny jean. 

I am a conservationist; I was green before it was cool.  From the first moment my father put my hand in the soil of the prairie as an infant.  To the time in middle school a friendly librarian offered me a simple little tome, “A Sand County Almanac” by Aldo Leopold.  I love the land and have loved the land.  My love of the plants, soil, water, ecosystems runs through me.  I cannot explain the simple joy I get while cresting my favorite hill climb and watching turkey vultures catch thermals circling for prey in the urban interface that runs alongside the ecological reserve I frequently hike. 

I make choices on what to use less of – some days I don’t apply as much hair straightening product and don’t blow out my locks, other days I walk to the grocer or drugstore instead of driving the mile round trip, I shop at the thrift store ~ to reuse perfectly nice clothing, shoes, and house wares...


My recent thrifting score ~ one sexy pair by Aldo & another practical pair by Born.

I always turn off the water while soaping my hands/ brushing my teeth, all my lights are compact fluorescents as those bulbs fail, I’m switching to LED’s, my car tires are properly inflated, I pay my bills online, and for my landlord who refuses to take automatic payments I send my check in a recycled envelope I received from another solicitor...  I’m frugal and I conserve because I find it to be a privilege to enjoy the world with less.  My heart is full with more because I am not shackled to the latest everything, but I am willing to assist others who want to find their way to a little more joy.

"Civilization has so cluttered this elemental man-earth relationship with gadgets and middlemen that awareness of it is growing dim. We fancy that industry supports us, forgetting what supports industry." ~ Aldo Leopold (A Sand County Almanac)

Joy of resource conservation offers opportunity to open you:
§         To wonder about possibilities ~ how to improve home and health
§         To mystery ~ why does skincare products need so many ingredients I can’t pronounce. Go organic, trust me your skin will look 50x times nicer…
§         Surrender excess ~ give away items to those in need
§         Accomplish new skills ~ reducing, reusing, and recycling
§         Intimacy with others and mother nature ~ play outside
§         Break free from wants versus needs ~ new CD or mp3
§         Explore new places and activities ~take metro train to concert in the city
"Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left." ~Aldo Leopold
 I strongly encourage you to reduce your clutter, conserve your resources and cherish a sunset with your friends.  You are never too old to learn a new skill and open your world to the world you are already part of: Enjoy Nature and Enjoy Others.

No comments:

Post a Comment